• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!
  • This portion of the forum has moved to Discord!

Hub Homophobic Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotts

I think that the word gay should not be counted as profanity as it is very homophobic. Staff says its for protection but its not protecting anyone but making people feel discriminated.

Trenly

Admin
Admin
I think it is used more often as an insult than anything. I believe it should stay blocked

Lotts

I just think its stupid as i rarely see anyone trying to insult people or be homophobic. Plus can't it just be a rule for not being homophobic? Idk i just think its unfair to homosexuals

SAFollis

Trusted Member
It's only really said as an insult. Count how many times you hear it in real life and if it's an insult/joke or not. I've only once heard it not as an insult/joke.

Lotts

No offence SAFollis but you must not listen to very nice people, i rarely hear it as an insult or joke so yeah if there are people taking it as joke then they are horrible people. Also, EL3TR1CSTORM we must see and hear very different things as i rarely here or see it used as an insult, Yes in the past people would use it as an insult but the people who do it now are stupid and immature. It is not fair to homosexuals when it is said that the word for them is profanity. This is just my peronal opinion and if you all don't like it, then i am sorry that wherever you are there are so many homophobes that it has made you think that it is mainly used as an insult.

SAFollis

Trusted Member
No offence SAFollis but you must not listen to very nice people, i rarely hear it as an insult or joke so yeah if there are people taking it as joke then they are horrible people.
I don't hear it often, just when I do, it is almost always an insult or someone's saying it as a joke.
It is not fair to homosexuals when it is said that the word for them is profanity.
Why? There's no reason to say it in the first place. It isn't like someone's going to go around the server going "HAI EVUHRUHBUDDEH IM (word here)"
i am sorry that wherever you are there are so many homophobes that it has made you think that it is mainly used as an insult.
Saying it as an insult doesn't mean you're homophobic. Also just a little grammar thing that bugs me a bit... a phobia is scared of something... and homo means similar (ex. a homogeneous solution), so homophobia would be the phobia of similar things...

It's sort of like calling someone... say... a blockhead (
upload_2017-3-5_15-37-13.png
) doesn't mean you hate blocks.

PenguinPeople

No offence SAFollis but you must not listen to very nice people, i rarely hear it as an insult or joke so yeah if there are people taking it as joke then they are horrible people. Also, EL3TR1CSTORM we must see and hear very different things as i rarely here or see it used as an insult, Yes in the past people would use it as an insult but the people who do it now are stupid and immature. It is not fair to homosexuals when it is said that the word for them is profanity. This is just my peronal opinion and if you all don't like it, then i am sorry that wherever you are there are so many homophobes that it has made you think that it is mainly used as an insult.
If it was removed from the ban list then there would be an argument that people were using the word in a negative way that was offensive to them. Additionally amidst repeating yourself you used a word that can be used, "homosexual", which makes the homosexuals in our community have a word that is not banned and that is less easily used as a slur.

D

danteinferno65

It discriminates people tho. Its not nice to block it bc people may think its BAD. thats homophobic

me32305

What. The. Hell. It's minecraft why are you even saying that you're gey? Your not special for being gey. We don't care. It's used as an insult why would it be allowed? You're acting like gey people are aliens. Why would they be offended by the word gey being blocked. Just use the polite term "homosexual" this is the internet 9 times out of 10 it's used as an insult.

Think about it, why would someone say "I'm gey" nobody cares it's a video game.

Your not even gey ffs.

NOTE: I changed gay to gey to get my point across don't be mad admins

please

EPICMATT88

Trusted Member
I'm going to be honest, this shouldn't be unfiltered simply because like me had said it doesn't make you different than the rest of the players. I also agree with the admins points that it is more often than not used as discrimination. It's a game! Why does sexuality matter in the first place?

AppleGlacier

Retired Staff
This thread was created a while ago and I will restate what I stated then.
I believe it should be kept blocked for the following reasons.
1. This is a PG server with kids on it. It is not in our position to be teaching kids about these words.
2. There is really no reason to even say it as I don't go around saying "I'M STRAIGHT EVERYONE LOOK AT ME!!!!"
3. People still use it as an insult and use it for discriminatory purposes.
4. This is a Minecraft server, we don't need to be talking about this stuff, people come here to get away from life and to relax and don't want to have to deal with this.

AppleGlacier

Retired Staff
What. The. Hell. It's minecraft why are you even saying that you're gey? Your not special for being gey. We don't care. It's used as an insult why would it be allowed? You're acting like gey people are aliens. Why would they be offended by the word gey being blocked. Just use the polite term "homosexual" this is the internet 9 times out of 10 it's used as an insult.

Think about it, why would someone say "I'm gey" nobody cares it's a video game.

Your not even gey ffs.

NOTE: I changed *** to gey to get my point across don't be mad admins

please
This is one of the rare times we agree loool.

Chickenrage249

I just think its stupid as i rarely see anyone trying to insult people or be homophobic. Plus can't it just be a rule for not being homophobic? Idk i just think its unfair to homosexuals
Charley, some people have different opinions to this, it shouldn't be rule not to be homophobic, you get banned for giving your opinion? I don't think that's right.

MineJam

Retired Staff
If that word should be unblocked then maybe b*tch should be unblocked because it means female dog, or maybe "A**" should be unblocked because it is an animal. Its not the word that we don't like its the way people use it. And since most kids are not mature enough to be able to use these words without discriminating people we have to block them. So yes it should stay blocked.

Last edited:

Trenly

Admin
Admin
If that word should be unblocked then maybe the b*tch should be unblocked because it means female dog, or maybe "A**" should be unblocked because it is an animal. Its not the word that we don't like its the way people use it. And since most kids are not mature enough to be able to use these words without discriminating people we have to block them. So yes it should stay blocked.
I agree 100%. And I'm just going to note that MineJam did say "most kids". So before anyone goes and says "but I'm not a kid", the majority of the reports that I make for bypassing using this word are people who are acting very immaturely by using this word in a derogatory manner. Since they are acting immature, the word "kids" is used as a description of how they are acting, not of what they actually are. I personally know many immature adults who can be described as "kids" given the right circumstances.

XV_Scorpion_VX

Retired Staff
I think that the word *** should not be counted as profanity as it is very homophobic. Staff says its for protection but its not protecting anyone but making people feel discriminated.
Yeah honestly I think this should be a thing. Just make it a rule that if you're discriminating against homosexual people then it should just be treated like racism, and equally can be reported.
Let's also unblock the N word because some people like to say it. It's discriminatory to block the N word as some people like to say it.
I could go on for a big rant about this but I'll probably get banned for discrimination if I do, but long story short personally I don't think that's a curse word either, but since people for some reason see it as a curse word that will never change.

_Bach_

Retired Staff
Yeah honestly I think this should be a thing. Just make it a rule that if you're discriminating against homosexual people then it should just be treated like racism, and equally can be reported.
Now there is a workable suggestion. Thank you for not just saying "OMG THEY BLOCKED MY SEXUALITY ZMASKHASJSHA"

I agree with Scorp here. If the community in general would like that word allowed, I dont see a huge problem with it. While I do not think we should allow huge debates about sexuality, I dont think allowing that word would necessarily do that. There is already a rule not to be disrespectful/discriminatory, and sexuality might could be added to that.

All in all though, to everyone, please make sure to keep this thread respectful and not simply argumentative. If this just turns into a flame war, it will be locked.

XV_Scorpion_VX

Retired Staff
Now there is a workable suggestion. Thank you for not just saying "OMG THEY BLOCKED MY SEXUALITY ZMASKHASJSHA"

I agree with Scorp here. If the community in general would like that word allowed, I dont see a huge problem with it. While I do not think we should allow huge debates about sexuality, I dont think allowing that word would necessarily do that. There is already a rule not to be disrespectful/discriminatory, and sexuality might could be added to that.

All in all though, to everyone, please make sure to keep this thread respectful and not simply argumentative. If this just turns into a flame war, it will be locked.
This is why you're my favourite staff and a good friend, thank you for seeing light in this cause honestly I thought that everyone was just going to blank my idea on it.

me32305

I could go on for a big rant about this but I'll probably get banned for discrimination if I do, but long story short personally I don't think that's a curse word either, but since people for some reason see it as a curse word that will never change.

Have you not read any of our comments? Nobody should be talking about their sexuality on the internet, more specifically on a minecraft server. We do not care. It's extremely unimportant to us. I just do not see the point in this suggestion. It's only used has an insult. It's not discriminating against anyone imo.

ImTea

Retired Staff
Okay, I see nothing wrong with the word. As MineJam said, it is how you use it. XV_Scorpion_VX made a good point in saying there is nothing wrong with it, and to treat any misuse of the word as "racism". The only issue I see is that MANY people will disagree or argue about the whole thing, and nothing will get done. If you want something done your going to have to get a majority, rules have to be reestablished, and it for sure won't happen over night. Keep trying and with a good argument you may get the word unblocked.

me32305 I can see where you're coming from but I also know a lot of people who have met their best friends online. Maybe some people do care and want to know your sextuality, maybe they want to express themselves. Think of if "I'm straight" was banned. It's insignificant to most, however anyone wanting to express themselves may see it as an inconvinence or borderline inconsiderate. I think something like this deserves to have a chance, as this has been brought up before, and has been gaining in popularity.

I'm not calling anyone out I'm just restating what people said and either agreeing or disagreeing. I think with most points I've agreed with me32305 and I even agreed with keeping it banned a while back when this argument was brought up before, however the main reason was because of immaturity. I'm seeing less and less of that, and more people simply wanting to express themselves, which I think is perfectly reasonable.

Just giving my thoughts :)

AppleGlacier

Retired Staff
To sum it up and I think most of us agree that it's not really the word itself, it's the way that it is used. As society changes people use words for different things and they take on different meanings than was originally intended. Also, it's not that we hate homosexuals or anything it's the fact that people use it in a degrading manner and don't use it for it's intended purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.