• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!
  • This portion of the forum has moved to Discord!

Global Swear Filter

ImTea

Retired Staff
OK so the thread that, I think it was, Trenly had posted about removing the filter in the build world gave me the idea. No it isn't original, and yeah, it probably has been suggested before, but I want to see what everyone thinks about it. We are a community of all ages, so I think we can handle it.

First - Change the swear filter from not sending your message, to making it the old fashioned cartoon swearing, "#$@%", or change the word, "you meanyhead!" etc etc.

Second - We make this filter togglable per player, giving them the choice to view said content without the filter. The filter would obviously automatically be activated upon joining the server.

Third - Change the chat rules a bit, allowing MINOR swearing AKA maybe one actual "swear/curse word" per every 1-2 sentences. Of course this swearing can NEVER be directed towards other players, or hurt anyone's feelings in any way, like saying something about their build or roleplay in creative.

Fourth - Not allowing fights/arguments to be in global chat, talk it out in /msg. Still however, they cannot spam /msg just because of an argument.

Fifth - ANY attempt to bypass the filter will result in a temporary mute, possibly a day each? Might be harsh, idk.

Anyone not following these rules could receive a temp mute, perm mute, kick, or temp ban. All of this has probably been suggested before, I just want peoples opinions on it, because as I said, we are a community of all ages, and should not be so restricted as to not even letting our message go out if it has some "bad word" in it. Some of the words in the filter seem unnecessary unless you are a child. No offence... :p

andrew louie

OK so the thread that, I think it was, Trenly had posted about removing the filter in the build world gave me the idea. No it isn't original, and yeah, it probably has been suggested before, but I want to see what everyone thinks about it. We are a community of all ages, so I think we can handle it.

First - Change the swear filter from not sending your message, to making it the old fashioned cartoon swearing, "#$@%", or change the word, "you meanyhead!" etc etc.

Second - We make this filter togglable per player, giving them the choice to view said content without the filter. The filter would obviously automatically be activated upon joining the server.

Third - Change the chat rules a bit, allowing MINOR swearing AKA maybe one actual "swear/curse word" per every 1-2 sentences. Of course this swearing can NEVER be directed towards other players, or hurt anyone's feelings in any way, like saying something about their build or roleplay in creative.

Fourth - Not allowing fights/arguments to be in global chat, talk it out in /msg. Still however, they cannot spam /msg just because of an argument.

Fifth - ANY attempt to bypass the filter will result in a temporary mute, possibly a day each? Might be harsh, idk.

Anyone not following these rules could receive a temp mute, perm mute, kick, or temp ban. All of this has probably been suggested before, I just want peoples opinions on it, because as I said, we are a community of all ages, and should not be so restricted as to not even letting our message go out if it has some "bad word" in it. Some of the words in the filter seem unnecessary unless you are a child. No offence... :p
They should use what some other servers do, any thing that is sounds like a curse if gone through the chat as #####

andrew louie

You never know. Again it is just a suggestion. We can't force them to add anything, they add what they see fit.
But, in the first place there shouldn't be a suggestion if there's gonna be a 2% chance there gonna add it. Many people come up with new game modes everyday, and they sound really fun, but they don't get added.

andrew louie

In what Gamemode
Honestly, I should join the build team as a Gamemode designer so I could bring mostly everyone's game modes to life, I've all ways wanted to make a community or HHGN a better place and top Other servers

Last edited by a moderator:

ImTea

Retired Staff
In what Gamemode
Mario kit, in kit PvP. Just because they sound fun, doesn't always mean they are "good". This might sound cool, but it light be a horrible idea I'd they implemented it. They just want to be cautious so they don't waste their time and make people upset. Would you like to spend 10+ hours working on something like a new gamemode, and people not like it? xD

andrew louie

Mario kit, in kit PvP. Just because they sound fun, doesn't always mean they are "good". This might sound cool, but it light be a horrible idea I'd they implemented it. They just want to be cautious so they don't waste their time and make people upset. Would you like to spend 10+ hours working on something like a new gamemode, and people not like it? xD
But, hey! You know when it's good or bad

Nootch

Trusted Member
I agree with putting a message when someone swears, I rmemeber when they had that. It was entertaining :p

Trenly

Admin
Admin
If you will notice, my thread was deleted. I doubt this will be added. There are people from age 7 (yes, I've seen and talked with them) all the way up to age 30+

It is better to have it blocked imo

Honestly, I should join the build team as a Gamemode designer so I could bring mostly everyone's game modes to life, I've all ways wanted to make a community or HHGN a better place and top Other servers
BuildTeam does not design the gamemodes, that would be the Dev team. Builders just make the maps

ImTea

Retired Staff
If you will notice, my thread was deleted. I doubt this will be added

BuildTeam does not design the gamemodes, that would be the Dev team. Builders just make the maps
Yeah I couldn't find it. Oh well I guess. Just a suggestion

XV_Scorpion_VX

Retired Staff
If I had my way I would remove the filter XD Judging by the amount I swear when im not on hhg (Anyone who talks to me on skype will know that lol). But yeah its not too likely that this will be added but it is a suggestion, and a valid one, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Mayonaizze

Trusted Member
My 7 year old sister just got MC. She's been on HHG. Here's the thing... " HAPPY HUNGER GAMES " and since it's kid friendly, I got my sister to join. Don't make HHGN un-kid friendly, please.

ImTea

Retired Staff
My 7 year old sister just got MC. She's been on HHG. Here's the thing... " HAPPY HUNGER GAMES " and since it's kid friendly, I got my sister to join. Don't make HHGN un-kid friendly, please.
There is still a filter that is automatically on just like there is now.

_Bach_

Retired Staff
The problem with having a substitute instead of the word itself is that it is obvious you are swearing, and just promotes a less kid friendly atmosphere. The atmosphere of HHG, as Mayonaizze pointed out, is to be very friendly to all ages, and that includes younger ages. HHG is really exceptional compared to many servers.

The HHG Rules state:
"Swearing will not be tolerated as we have players of all different ages and profanity might be offensive to some users. Please keep it [PG-13]. Any word blocked by out Anti-Swear plugin is considered profanity.
Abbreviating or modifying the profanity (such as “fk” or “b*tch”) is forbidden as well. If you are caught swearing, you will be muted."

Personally, I think the current system really does a good job of eliminating profanity. Many words are blocked by CONSOLE which will mute you if you try to say the word itself, and staff are there to enforce when people use substitutes and try and bypass the chat filter.

XV_Scorpion_VX

Retired Staff
This wont happen anyway XD. I mean, I really don't care what happens to the chat on or anything in hhgn too much anymore, I only have one thing on my mind that I found in the server right now at least. I guess the current system does its job fine for the server that hhg has become, because for an example, if there wasn't a chat filter, I would have offended a lot of people by now without even knowing, no joke.

Also, this may sound dumb but this server has been slightly less friendly with my new pfp, just saying XD.

Last edited: