• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!
  • This portion of the forum has moved to Discord!

Website Web Chat (that connects to MC chat)?

SAFollis

Trusted Member
Like Minechat, but on the forums.

It'd also allow staff to watch chat without playing MC, and would hook into the forums (if your UUID is set) and you confirmed it in game.

just a small idea that'd be fun imo, and there'd be an option to change what server you are viewing chat in.

Also, it wouldn't show you as online, as a plugin would just send a chat message as if you were the one sending it, but it wouldn't show you as online in friends, etc. b/c it's just the plugin, not you.

It's small so I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't get added xD

Zelistra

Trusted Member
Like Minechat, but on the forums.

It'd also allow staff to watch chat without playing MC, and would hook into the forums (if your UUID is set) and you confirmed it in game.

just a small idea that'd be fun imo, and there'd be an option to change what server you are viewing chat in.

Also, it wouldn't show you as online, as a plugin would just send a chat message as if you were the one sending it, but it wouldn't show you as online in friends, etc. b/c it's just the plugin, not you.

It's small so I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't get added xD
So it's for staff only? It would be really cool though, also let them be able to see /f bmsg (if they can't in-game) :p

SAFollis

Trusted Member
its definitely possible, but is it entirely practical?
I'd be willing to code it, I wouldn't know how to 'hook' it into forums, though.

It'd be nice if a staff member can't go on mc but has time to spare they could monitor chat through it, and normal people could just... idk xD

Zelistra

Trusted Member
I'd be willing to code it, I wouldn't know how to 'hook' it into forums, though.

It'd be nice if a staff member can't go on mc but has time to spare they could monitor chat through it, and normal people could just... idk xD
Normal people could just...

be useless ;-

_Radique_oo7

I love the idea on how staff can easily moderate chat while reading threads on the forum page however cant you just leave Minecraft open on one window then the forums on another? Maybe a Forums chat box?

SAFollis

Trusted Member
I love the idea on how staff can easily moderate chat while reading threads on the forum page however cant you just leave Minecraft open on one window then the forums on another? Maybe a Forums chat box?
If you can't go on mc (like don't have enough time to open and join the server), it's easier to go on the chat in a web browser than mc, and like for me mc doesn't let me join servers until ~3 minutes after opening mc, so it wastes a lot of time.

_Radique_oo7

If you can't go on mc (like don't have enough time to open and join the server), it's easier to go on the chat in a web browser than mc, and like for me mc doesn't let me join servers until ~3 minutes after opening mc, so it wastes a lot of time.

That's true. My minecraft tends to take forever to open. About 3 minutes.

_Smokescreen_

Retired Staff
This suggestion SAFollis in my opinion sounds favorable and would be beneficial in ways, because as you said you would not have to load Minecraft up, and we could do commands and such from player reports directly from the forums itself and not have to worry about coming onto the server to execute them. However to not show you are online and to then message someone for warning them could ruin it, as that would give away the fact that you were seen as 'offline'. Also, and to be honest, I would rather us come onto the server itself to moderate chat AND catch hackers; creative plots etc.

P.S. *cough* MINECHAT

SAFollis

Trusted Member
This suggestion SAFollis in my opinion sounds favorable and would be beneficial in ways, because as you said you would not have to load Minecraft up, and we could do commands and such from player reports directly from the forums itself and not have to worry about coming onto the server to execute them. However to not show you are online and to then message someone for warning them could ruin it, as that would give away the fact that you were seen as 'offline'. Also, and to be honest, I would rather us come onto the server itself to moderate chat AND catch hackers; creative plots etc.

P.S. *cough* MINECHAT
"However to not show you are online and to then message someone for warning them could ruin it,"
I'm sorta confused by this, can you elaborate?
"Also, and to be honest, I would rather us come onto the server itself to moderate chat AND catch hackers; creative plots etc." If you don't have time to go on the server, though, it would be a bit easier.
"P.S. *cough* MINECHAT" My phone is always at almost no battery xD

_Smokescreen_

Retired Staff
"However to not show you are online and to then message someone for warning them could ruin it,"
I'm sorta confused by this, can you elaborate?
"Also, and to be honest, I would rather us come onto the server itself to moderate chat AND catch hackers; creative plots etc." If you don't have time to go on the server, though, it would be a bit easier.
"P.S. *cough* MINECHAT" My phone is always at almost no battery xD
If you message someone to warn for them for spam; profanity; advertising, the player will notice that you are online and thus giving away the fact that you were seen as 'offline' in the first place which as I said, could ruin it in such a way of being hidden.

Oh and either charge your phone or carry a charger with you, that's your problem ;)

SAFollis

Trusted Member
If you message someone to warn for them for spam; profanity; advertising, the player will notice that you are online and thus giving away the fact that you were seen as 'offline' in the first place which as I said, could ruin it in such a way of being hidden.

Oh and either charge your phone or carry a charger with you, that's your problem ;)
Okay, also the offline part would sorta have the same problem with going invisible on the server, and

I don't notice my phone xD It usually just sits in my room... doing nothing. Tried getting steam guard to make me keep my phone with me more (b/c then you have to use it to log in to steam) but it didn't work exactly xD

_Smokescreen_

Retired Staff
Okay, also the offline part would sorta have the same problem with going invisible on the server
The main reason we would be 'invisible' would not to be talking in chat for one, as a chat system on the forums you are only liable to chat, and not catch hackers etc. It is an alright idea but like Masterfireheart said, is it entirely practical? (More on the side of a rhetorical question)