• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!
  • This portion of the forum has moved to Discord!

Global Minimum Staff Age

joexxx6

There won't be a 9 year old head-admin. No 9 year old is that mature, and nor would anyone trust a 9 year old. That's like someone going "Oh look Einstein was good at math and stuff in high school, maybe I will become the greatest mathematician ever when I'm in 3rd grade!"

I never said that, I meant when they are old enough to apply. Read what I say before having a go at me.

SAFollis

Trusted Member
I never said that, I meant when they are old enough to apply. Read what I say before having a go at me.
Read it too fast, and with the confusing wording it tripped me up. Sorry. But still, what does that have anything to do with it?
"Maybe one day that 9 year old will be Head-Admin, you never know, but it would've all started by them being inspired by someone around their age, doing such an important job, at such a high standard."
Maybe, but it might also be them inspired by someone older. Age doesn't matter for inspiration usually.

joexxx6

Read it too fast, and with the confusing wording it tripped me up. Sorry. But still, what does that have anything to do with it?
"Maybe one day that 9 year old will be Head-Admin, you never know, but it would've all started by them being inspired by someone around their age, doing such an important job, at such a high standard."
Maybe, but it might also be them inspired by someone older. Age doesn't matter for inspiration usually.

I never said it did, but younger players won't feel as if they will ever be staff, as by the time they're 14, for all you know no one might play MC anymore

SAFollis

Trusted Member
I never said it did, but younger players won't feel as if they will ever be staff, as by the time they're 14, for all you know no one might play MC anymore
MC probably won't be played in a few years.
"Maybe one day that 9 year old will be Head-Admin, you never know, but it would've all started by them being inspired by someone around their age, doing such an important job, at such a high standard." Pretty clearly shows you did say it. "Inspired by someone around their age" makes it so that it wouldn't be as "inspiring" (to be staff on an MC server... ...) if they were older.

joexxx6

MC probably won't be played in a few years.
"Maybe one day that 9 year old will be Head-Admin, you never know, but it would've all started by them being inspired by someone around their age, doing such an important job, at such a high standard." Pretty clearly shows you did say it. "Inspired by someone around their age" makes it so that it wouldn't be as "inspiring" (to be staff on an MC server... ...) if they were older.

I'm pretty sure this is the same point you made earlier......

_Smokescreen_

Retired Staff
^

You don't have to be staff to look great, or to help the server out. If you're below the age of 14, you're more than welcome to create player reports and keep watch of chat when there is not a staff member available. Take the time to learn things about the server and do what you enjoy while waiting for the day you could apply to be a staff member.

There are a few reasons why we do have that restriction to be 14 and over and it is not just about maturity, you must also be capable to be put under a somewhat stressful situation at times and have the capability to cope with players that can be a pain in the butt, but there is also a lot of information to remember about being staff. I'm sure this was also brought up earlier but I agree with the fact that kids of a younger age could get into the motion or have a habit of thinking being staff is more important than say school because they dislike it, when being staff is voluntary and we do also only require staff that can provide the time to be on the server, whenever they want of course. As I said earlier, patience is a virtue if you are younger than 14 and as I said, you're more than welcome to create player reports as that does help us out a lot.

AppleGlacier

Retired Staff
As I was previously staff member, twice, I can agree with all of this. Not just with the school thing, but also the stress thing that Trenly brought up. It's a lot more stressful than most people think. I am absolutely fantastic at handling stress, one of the best people I know. But even then HHGN got me pretty stressed. Think about it.
1. Being a staff member there really isn't room for mistakes whatsoever. So you got to be ontop of your game all the time.
2. People are constantly bugging you all the time, sometimes for small things, and it's not breaking a rule so you can't punish them or anything.
3. Being a staff member, you are basically meant to take all the stress of the server essentially, to make it as fun for other people as possible.
4. You are constantly multitasking with multiple people and making critical decisions in split seconds.

Now, I will say, I did have a lot of problems in my life at the same time, but lots of other people do too, so most kids under 14, even if they are mature enough, haven't gone through many experiences yet and don't know how to deal with them.

Furthermore, there is also the fact that a lot of things brought up are inappropriate on the server. Inappropriate builds, inappropriate names, cussing, sexual terms, etc. not to mention within the staff community it's not always the cleanest thing you've ever seen either. So all of these would be bad influences upon the kids, which I'm sure, most parents, if they found out wouldn't want their kids being staff.

Yes, there are kids mature below the age of 14, who can deal with it. But in that case I would recommend doing what _Smokescreen_ and reporting players who are breaking the rules. This is probably the best possible way to show the staff team that you are committed. Also, don't try to brag saying you do all of them, because then the staff will know you are only doing it because you want staff. They notice, so just be humble and do those things.

I think you should have to be 12/13 like you said. I know lots of people who are this age and handle stress fine, but others do not. Maybe when applying, there could be an option on how well you would rate yourself on handling stress from like 1 to 5?

Viperstrike

Trusted Member
I think you should have to be 12/13 like you said. I know lots of people who are this age and handle stress fine, but others do not. Maybe when applying, there could be an option on how well you would rate yourself on handling stress from like 1 to 5?
There is a option, when your 14. But as explained in many many posts-
As I was previously staff member, twice, I can agree with all of this. Not just with the school thing, but also the stress thing that Trenly brought up. It's a lot more stressful than most people think. I am absolutely fantastic at handling stress, one of the best people I know. But even then HHGN got me pretty stressed. Think about it.
1. Being a staff member there really isn't room for mistakes whatsoever. So you got to be ontop of your game all the time.
2. People are constantly bugging you all the time, sometimes for small things, and it's not breaking a rule so you can't punish them or anything.
3. Being a staff member, you are basically meant to take all the stress of the server essentially, to make it as fun for other people as possible.
4. You are constantly multitasking with multiple people and making critical decisions in split seconds.

Now, I will say, I did have a lot of problems in my life at the same time, but lots of other people do too, so most kids under 14, even if they are mature enough, haven't gone through many experiences yet and don't know how to deal with them.

Furthermore, there is also the fact that a lot of things brought up are inappropriate on the server. Inappropriate builds, inappropriate names, cussing, sexual terms, etc. not to mention within the staff community it's not always the cleanest thing you've ever seen either. So all of these would be bad influences upon the kids, which I'm sure, most parents, if they found out wouldn't want their kids being staff.

Yes, there are kids mature below the age of 14, who can deal with it. But in that case I would recommend doing what _Smokescreen_ and reporting players who are breaking the rules. This is probably the best possible way to show the staff team that you are committed. Also, don't try to brag saying you do all of them, because then the staff will know you are only doing it because you want staff. They notice, so just be humble and do those things.
While there can be mature people under 14... most aren't. There'd be a flood of applications from 9 year olds and others who are not mature enough that would waste time of people reviewing them. It would also look fairly bad on the server to have staff that are that young, as it would be odd to go on a server and see a staff member who is, say, 11. On top of that, there's a lot of things staff have to deal with that might/will be inappropriate for those under the age of 14 to deal with (and some even inappropriate for people who are in the age requirement).

Kristian

Retired Staff

^^ he explained it all. Being a staff member is not just keeping the server free from hackers. You have to be literally on top of your game all the time. One mistake can lead to big arguments, which might make you consider if you're well-suited for your role. Well, as smoke mentioned earlier, you can help keeping HHG free from hackers and rule breakers by reporting them, simple as that.

Unitus

Retired Staff
This can easily be explained with a simple example. A 12 year old can probably drive a car way better than many adults, but the age minimum for driving (where I live) is 16 years. A 12 year old can be capable of many things, but these age limits are set to try and avoid problems. Don't try to rush things in life, they are a certain way for a reason (even if you find it illogical).