• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!
  • This portion of the forum has moved to Discord!

BooBooRaven

So I have aplied to the build team many times now but I am always denied. Obviously I understand it is because I'm not good enough ( yet? ) so I have come here for some tips. Here are my two latest builds that I submitted to the aplication:

Also they can be found on the creative server with /p v BooBooRaven 2 and
/p v BooBooRaven 4. Please reply with any tips as I really want to be on the build team! :)
2018-03-24_19.21.27.png
2018-03-24_19.26.34.png
2018-03-24_19.39.47.png
2018-03-24_19.39.37.png

michalthekid

Trusted Member
while the actual building is really good, i think you need to use more block and more colors and stuff. also make sure theres kinda a story, i think

EPICMATT88

Trusted Member
while the actual building is really good, i think you need to use more block and more colors and stuff. also make sure theres kinda a story, i think
As michal had said, use more colors of blocks. The occasional color can make a scene pop, whether it be plants, or a different color block mixed into the gray or yellow buildings. Maybe in the sand village add different colored wools in the market place or other bright objects for sale. Also, maybe it’d be smart to add an oasis vibe to the build; using shrubbery and palm trees. Finally, maybe try to use an alternative block in ur build other than sand type blocks. In the industrial build, maybe add alternative blocks to ur builds that aren’t gray, it doesn’t even have to be super bright. But a slight change can go a long way. Despite the slightly grayscale and yellow color situation see that the gray and yellow palettes have a wide variety of block and that’s well done. I hope you take this advice, because the build I made to make it into build team revolves around color; color is very important for your map to feel alive and tell a story.

Trenly

Admin
Admin
As Matt and Michal have both said, color is very important to a build. A monochromatic pallet can work well in certain applications, but having one or two colors mixed in would help a lot. For example, having red sand or red sandstone in a desert theme can help the map pop if used correctly. In a grey stone build, blues and purples can add a bit of warmth.

On the contrary to that, having too many colors can also be a bad thing. Certain colors work well together, and certain colors don't. One image I reference often is this one:
house-painting-kitchen3-300x300.jpg

The way it works is that colors closer together, work better together. This is why you rarely see a blue paired with an orange, since they clash. however blue with purple, or red with magenta can add a sense of flow. Every part of a build should have purpose, and adding in just a splash of color can make a good build great.