• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!

are you excited for dat 1080 ti

Are you?

• Yes, I'm getting it

• Yes, but no money :(

• No. 1080 ti is dumdum

• What's that

Results are only viewable after voting.

SAFollis

Trusted Member
upload_2017-2-28_22-34-20.png

mabois
700 bucks
11gb vram
3.5k cores
1.6GHz

next week

but don't have 700 yet ;c

XV_Scorpion_VX

Retired Staff
The funny thing is that I really don't give 2 damns about graphics cards so I'm just gonna put the third one lol. Why would you spend $700 on one anyway?

SAFollis

Trusted Member
The funny thing is that I really don't give 2 damns about graphics cards so I'm just gonna put the third one lol. Why would you spend $700 on one anyway?
Graphics cards let you render graphics faster.
Also, due to the insane amount of cores (3.5k in this one, compared to 4 on an i7 6700k) it is extremely useful for getting mathematical results fast.
It also has more VRAM, so you can hold more textures and other data.
And spend 700+? because, fast amazing graphics. Example, let's say a computer gets only 70 fps at min settings without a GPU, with a gpu like this it might get 150FPS at max settings (depends on game and cpu ofc, cpu might bottleneck it or the cpu might be really good and not as much of improvement but still a lot of improvement).

tl;dr: it's another cpu with maor powwerrrrr

SAFollis

Trusted Member
It makes very little sense to compare a CPU to a GPU and you'll need a very high end CPU to make the most of this card.

Suggested reading:
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlik...li5_how_come_modern_graphics_cards_have_more/
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...itan-x-pascal-cpu-bottleneck-at-1440p-144fps/
If you can afford this GPU you're gonna have a good cpu silly. And I'm comparing them in the sense of, it's what a GPU does. Computes stuff. Like a CPU. Just for other things. It helps for people who don't want to get into the architecture of them.

Also, I have an i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz (plan to OC to 5GHz once I get a liquid cooler). I've been planning on getting the gtx 1080 ti, I'm just slightly short on money right now.

SAFollis

Trusted Member
If you want to run games well there are older cards that get the job done. Overpaying for a card at launch just does not make sense for me. That card is legit though, the highest performing Ti ever
You don't just want to run games well...
you want to run them to THE EXTREME

kappa

also it's useful for coding things, and neural nets work nice with them etc.