• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!

How To Add Minecraft To Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cptcreeper64!

Trusted Member
This is a guide on a cool feature I found for minecraft. It also works on most other games.
If you have steam and minecraft, you can combine them together.
Why you ask?
Because you can use the shift+tab feature and use the f12 screenshots to post it on steam. Or if you like to launch games from steam. This is very helpful if you play in full screen mode because you can open a tab to vote without having to exit minecraft. Also in full screen mode you can see your battery life. The possibilities are endless here :D .
Steps:
1. Download the new minecraft launcher. (It has been recently updated.) If you don't have it, it won't appear on the list. Download it here. Make sure you use the Minecraft.msi one.
RzWjfFv.png

2. Download steam if you don't already have it here. Then make an account.

bxwV53c.png

3. Go to the top left corner and select: "Games."
N99CYm4.png

4. Select: "Add A Non-Steam Game To My Library"
iDqLjQW.png

5. Find minecraft in the list and select it. Then hit: "Add Selected Programs." If you can't find minecraft, refer back to step one.
o5DKPuQ.png

6. Go to your library on the left, select minecraft on the left column, and then hit play.
HF3TIdi.png

7. Enjoy the steam features such as opening a browser to look at forums, or seeing if your friends are on. Also use f12 to take a screenshot. You can also play music! :D
EY8Df3X.png

These steps are for if you want desktop/taskbar shortcuts for it.
Desktop Shortcut:
8. So now you want a shortcut, so you can easily do these features. Well guess what. There is a way :D. Right click minecraft on the left column and hit: "Create Desktop Shortcut."
IqOATlq.png

9. Now it looks wierd. Still not perfect. Go to your desktop, right click it and hit properties.
uYPLwkI.png

10. Now hit: "Change Icon" and then "Browse." After that go to the top of the file explorer window. And paste this in:
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minecraft
. Usually it is there. If its not there, then browse and look for the minecraft.exe file, it will be somewhere. After that select the .exe file, hit: "open," then the minecraft logo, ok, and lastly, apply.
Lutn7HS.png

Now you can use that :D.
Taskbar:
Watch this video and do the same for minecraft. You need to make a desktop shortcut though. (It works for windows 8 too)
Its steamception time! :D

Tell me in the comments if you plan to use it.

Last edited:

iGalaXi

Retired Staff
I dont understand why this is relevant. Like minecraft isn't even a steam game. And why would you want it as a shortcut in steam when its on your desktop.

SAFollis

Trusted Member
I dont understand why this is relevant. Like minecraft isn't even a steam game. And why would you want it as a shortcut in steam when its on your desktop.
Because you can use the shift+tab feature and use the f12 screenshots to post it on steam. Or if you like to launch games from steam. This is very helpful if you play in full screen mode because you can open a tab to vote without having to exit minecraft. Also in full screen mode you can see your battery life.

Kaios

Retired Staff
Mac users already can go between tabs without closing things at all. It's called Cmd+Tab. #MacRules

Masterfireheart

Retired Staff
everything is easier without steam DRM and "features" cluttering it...

(unless you do fullscreen, in which case you can easily Ctrl+Esc)

Status
Not open for further replies.